Yesterday was a very long day. It started off with me not having much sleep and not feeling very well to boot. Poor Olivia had a rough night, she slept, but she tossed and turned which meant I endured accidental abuse. I got her ready to go to her first Pediatric Orthopedic appointment. My husband is a teacher and teaches on two different campuses. We only have the one car which means if she or I need to go to the doctor, or I just want out of the house, I need to take him to the second campus.
Well my poor husband texts me to let me know that they had a spur of the moment meeting and he would be running late. I was a little worried since we were already cutting it close on time. Her appointment was not until 11:15, but they need you to come in 30 minutes early to make sure you filled out your information packet properly. My husband finally called me to let me know he was on his way around 10:45. I knew right then it would quickly become one of those "redo button" days. I ran down stairs to the car, strapped the baby in and dropped him off at the second campus. I had no idea where the building was, but thankfully my GPS did. We managed to make it to the office at 11:13. All I could do was apologize and hope they would still see her.
The staff was super nice and said everything would be fine. Olivia charmed everyone by dancing, laughing and being her normal "Hammy" self. Poor thing had to have x-rays of both knees and then she had to be poked, bent and twisted by two different doctors. Neither read the packet or even knew why she was there. I ended up having to repeat myself like a parrot ten times before either knew what was going on. I actually had one tell me that dislocating patellas are nothing to worry about. Please explain that to my poor knees, especially my left. It has two screws and a 10 1/2in scar. Basically, they cannot tell what is wrong with her knees, but given family history with severe knee trouble they plan to "watch it closely."
Then, after all of the craziness with the doctor and almost getting hit by a texter when driving to the school I did the dumbest thing. My husband took Olivia out of her car seat so I could clean it out. When I went to strap our daughter back in the car seat I laid my cell phone on the roof of the car. I am sure you can guess where this is going. Yep, we drove off with it still up there. Until yesterday I had never done that. It was either in my pocket or diaper bag. But I had it in my hand because I had just gotten off the phone with my grandmother.
We managed to make it about 3 miles from the school when we hear a loud cracking sound. The sound of my poor phone flying off the roof, hitting the trunk and smashing onto the road. I just started crying. My poor daughter grabbed my arm and gave the biggest hug she could. I smiled and tried my best not to cry anymore but couldn't stop. Then my sweet heart hands me her stuffed puppy and patted my arm. She gave me a concerned look and then the biggest, sweetest smile she could muster.
After that I couldn't help it. I kissed her cheek, and couldn't help but smile and laugh. She was the sweetest thing despite the crazy day we had and all the discomfort she endured during the appointment. Kids really know how to make you think about how you handle stress.
Yes, I broke a very expensive, brand new phone. Yes, I broke it the day we were planning to celebrate my birthday. BUT it could have been so much worse. If my little girl could find a reason to smile despite teething pain and a bad appointment, I can get over breaking a phone.
No comments:
Post a Comment